Extractions & Same Day Dentures
San Antonio Dental Office
What are Same Day Dentures?
Same Day Dentures are the complete dentures you receive on the day you get your natural teeth extracted. Some people call them “Immediate Dentures” because you get them immediately after your teeth are pulled. Others call them “Healing Dentures” because you use them while you heal. These dentures ensure that you never go without teeth and also help your tissue heal. Keep reading to learn more about these healing temporary dentures.
What is it like getting Same Day dentures?
Wondering what kind of a difference a same day denture can make? Watch the videos to hear what our patients say their new immediate denture has done for them. Trying to imagine what it might be like to get one yourself? Scroll past the pictures to read more about what to expect during the healing process and beyond. You can also check out our guide to transitioning to dentures.
Same Day Dentures Video
How do we make Immediate dentures?
No one wants to go without teeth. Making new teeth for the extraction day begins with a detailed consultation and CT scan. We help our patients design a plan that fits their needs and their budget. Often people would like implants but can’t afford the whole package on day one. If that’s you, ask about getting your teeth made in phases so you can pay as you go. Watch the video below to see how we make these beautiful new teeth in our San Antonio digital denture lab.
Video – See how we make new smiles in our digital dental lab!
Both Removable Dentures and Fixed Implant Dentures Start with Healing Dentures
From the start, some people want removable teeth while others want implants and fixed teeth. Either way, the process starts with extractions and temporary healing dentures in your mouth. After creating a treatment plan, we take impressions and design your new teeth. Your same day smile may be a temporary denture, but we make them the same way we make a permanent denture so that they look and feel as good as possible!
Nervous about extractions?
You’re not alone. Many patients feel anxious about getting teeth extracted. Ask Dr. Bec about your SEDATION OPTIONS. Sedation lets you feel comfortable and relaxed. Goodbye dental anxiety!
Click HERE to read about what to expect on day 3 after immediate dentures!
Read our step-by-step guide for the transition to immediate dentures.
What should I expect from a Same Day Denture?
In the first week:
- Expect some swelling and tenderness, especially in the first 24-48 hours.
- The healing denture will keep swelling down.
- Plan on eating a soft / liquid diet.
- Your new dentures will not feel like your natural teeth. However, don’t let this scare you. Like many other things in life, different is different – not bad
- Expect your immediate dentures to fit snugly during the first week.
During the second week:
- Swelling will gradually decrease in the second week.
- The denture often loosen.
- Expect to need a soft comfort reline to aid stability and healing.
- As the gums heal and shrink, expect the denture to move more and cause sore spots.
- Adjusting the denture removes the rubbing spots.
From the third week on:
- Expect a soft reline after about 2 months. To see how we do a soft reline, watch the video below that show us doing a reline. You can also check out our denture reline page.
- With the help of multiple relines, you can expect your healing denture to be comfortable and functional for three to six months.
- Typically at six months, it’s time to convert your temporary denture into a permanent one or to remake it.
But I Can’t Afford This kind of treatment!
When money is tight, it can be really frustrating to hear a dentist telling you that the total treatment cost for extractions and dentures is more than you can afford. If this is your situation, don’t lose hope.
When dentures seem out of the question for a patient, I remind them of three things:
- A healing denture is optional. This temporary denture only gets used for several months until the healing process finishes. A patient may heal after extractions without a denture.
- The importance of extracting infected and painful teeth outweighs the health benefits of a healing denture. Put health first and esthetics can come later.
- Payment options allow you to receive needed treatment and pay for it afterwards.
Click HERE to learn more about how we keep our dentures affordable.
Some People Get Extra Mileage
When one of our patient’s immediate dentures broke after she had it more than a year, she came in disappointed. She’d liked it so much that she’d been hoping that she wouldn’t need permanent dentures. However, she knew that her initial teeth were a temporary denture that would last three to six months. We make them as sturdy as possible. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to predict how your tissue will change or how much stress the healing process will put on your new teeth. Those factors determine how long they last.
Dentures Are a Process NOT a Product
We don’t pull your new teeth off a shelf. We literally make custom new prosthetic teeth and it’s a complex process. Fortunately, we do this a lot and that helps us help you know what to expect. We are fully committed to making this process as comfortable and smooth as we possibly can.
Click HERE to check out some denture before & after results!
Schedule Your Consultation
Whether you have teeth or not, you deserve a smile you can be proud of!
A beautiful smile changes how you look. It also changes how you live. Imagine laughing and eating freely with friends again! If you want to smile with confidence, we can help. Take the first step today. Schedule your consultation!